Evolution and Natural Selection
Charles Darwin (1809-1882) was a naturalist, whose job is to observe living things and its environment. In 1831, he travelled by sea with the British ship called the beagle and set for sail.
On his way he stops at a certain place known as the galápagos islands, this islands is situated in the Pacific ocean off the south American coast. There he observed different forms of life.
He discovered that the species in the mainland resembles those of the islands, but there are some features that distinguishes the mainland species from the islands species of the same organisms.
Based on the fact that adaptation is very important Darwin came to the conclusion that, most of the organism that had to migrates from the islands to the mainland have had cause to evolved for over many generations in other to adapt to their new environments.
Darwin also explained that species evolve because of natural selection. If this features that are necessary are being transferred from generations to generations; it will make it easy for offsprings of that species to survive. There are several factors that are needed to be considered in natural selection:
- Variation spread to other species with time, making the species to evolve.
- It makes it easy for species to produce offspring that can survive in its environment.
- Species that have special features (variations) which help in adapting to their environment; have better chances of surviving and also pass those traits to the next generation.
- Variation helps individual species to adapt comfortably to their environment. And this traits are being pass from one generation to another.
- Offspring with same traits compete for survival within their environment.
- Variation spreads to other species with time, which in turn makes them to….? A. Survive B. Struggle C. Evolve D. Produce
2. From the options chose the correct definition of adaptation?
A. Traits that appear only when two recessive alleles are inherited
B. Traits that makes an organism to survive on its environment
C. Traits that are learnt
D. Trait that are being process
3. From the content above Darwin explain that species evolve because of …….?
D. Natural Selection
4. One of the beagle’s stop is….?
C. Galápagos islands
D. The coast
5. Choose the correct options that best explained the sentence
….. the British ship _ set sail with…….?
A. The South America coast
B. The beagle
C. The naturalist
D. Charles Darwin