Earth’s Resources The earth’s resources have to do with anything that is needed for humans to survive. There these natural resources are listed below:
- Air: when we talk about air it has to do with respiration, weather and climate.
- Water: water is useful in so many ways; it is used for washing, cooking, drinking, agricultural, industrial processes and so on.
- Soil: soil has to do with loose disintegrated rock, living organisms, air, water, and organic matter in which plants grow.
- Minerals: it consists of natural forming inorganic substances with a crystalline structure of which rocks are made up of.
- Energy: e.g. fossils fuels, wind, moving water, solar energy and geothermal energy.
Classification of earth’s resources
Resources can be classified as nonrenewable and renewable resources:
Nonrenewable resources: This kind of resource takes millions of years to be formed naturally, therefore, no replacement. E.g. crude oil
Renewable source of energy: these kinds can never run out either because of its unlimited supply. E.g. solar energy
These resources can be destroyed by people through:
- Over use
- Air is being polluted by harmful substances released into the air e.g. fossil fuel which brings damage to the ozone layer through chlorofluorocarbons.
- Water; can also be polluted through sewage, industrial chemicals etc.
Conservation; as to do with a wide range of activities to protect the natural resources. These measures taken are:
- Use of catalytic converters to reduce the harmful emissions
- Manufacturing of technologies to exploit renewable resources of energy
- Recycling of waste
- Using of agricultural methods to protect plants
- Developing more efficient combustion engines to reduce consumption of gasoline
- Cleaning up of polluted areas
- Radioactive waves should be dispose properly
- Creating of sewage and water treatment plants
- One the ways in which natural resources can be destroyed by man is through? A. Overuse B. Jumping C. Sliding D. Digging
- Air can be polluted through………….? A. Smokes B. Rain C. Chemicals D. Washing
- Lack of water treatment can lead to? A. Soil pollution B. Recycling C. Water pollution D. Chemical pollution
- ………….. are those that take millions of years to be formed naturally A. Resources B. Nonrenewable resources C. Renewable resources D. Recycling
- Radioactive waves should be ………… properly? A. Kept B. Arrange C. Dispose D. Recycle