CELL PROCESSES AND ENERGY
Cells need energy to carry out its daily functions like growth and reproduction to produce food. This process is known as photosynthesis. In photosynthesis there are different stages that take place before food can be manufacture by plants. These stages are as follows:
- In the first stage of photosynthesis, light energy is captured by chloroplasts inside plant cells.
- In these stage complex reactions takes place in the chloroplasts. This take place after the plant must have absorbed water (H2O) from the soil and carbon dioxide from the air. In photosynthesis all plant makes use of light energy to form carbon dioxide and water. Photosynthesis can be explained in the form of chemical equation: 6CO2 + 6H2O C6H12O6+6O2 that are carbon dioxide plus water in the presence of light energy give glucose plus oxygen.
When energy is needed in cells, carbohydrates have to be broken down in order for energy to be released. This energy are needed therefore, living things eat the plant directly or indirectly in order to get energy to survive. In cellular respiration with the presence of oxygen glucose is being broken down to release energy. It can also be defined in the form of a chemical equation: C6H12O6+ 6O2 6CO2+ 6CO2+6H2O+ energy. Here we have glucose plus oxygen yields carbon dioxide, water and oxygen.
- When energy is needed in cells ………… have to be broken down in order to release energy? A. Glucose B. Oxygen C. Carbohydrates D. Respiration
- Cells need …………….. to carry out its daily functions? A. Energy B. Growth C. Reproduction D. Respiration
- Give the chemical equation that best explains cellular respiration?
Answers: C6H12O6+6O2 6CO2+6CO2+6H2O+energy
- Mention the two (2) stages involve in respiration? (i) In the first stage light energy is captured by chloroplast (ii) In the second stage complex reaction takes place i.e. plants absorbed water (h2o) and carbon dioxide from soil and air respectively.
- Defined photosynthesis? It is the process whereby plant absorbed energy from the sunlight in other to manufacture their food